Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Military Brats...A Journey Home

I just wanted to post a review from my "old" blog about a movie I had the honor to participate in its production. Here is the review I wrote several years ago.

Donna Musil is trying to get this movie reviewed and brought to light on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Originally posted:Tuesday, August 28, 2007 The Journey Home....
Well, I have been asked many times how long have I been scrapbooking? Well, seriously since 2005 2 years after the birth of my daughter. Before scrapping I had another obsession that was fused by the fabulous world of the World Wide Web. The information highway. My obsession was seeking out friends from my childhood. Although, I was born in Atlanta....I really never had a concrete "staple" answer of "I am from..."
Well over 10 years ago I came across a lady named Donna Musil and she was seeking out Military Brats for her documentary. I filled out her questionnaire and intereviewed for a film that has now come full circle. This film is about "the journey home" and the sub-culture of life as a Military Brat that no-one ever really talked about. The documentary has since been viewed in many cities, Armed Forces Television, film festivals, and military bases around America. The documentary is eye opening to a culture of America that lends one to see that not just our soldiers sacrifice but that the dependents of our soldiers, too encounter loss in many ways. It opens the eye of the viewer to know that whatever "we" as "brats" did/do is a direct reflection on our Military Father/Mother.

Many of you are aware by reading my blog that a "Sense of Home" is what grounds me in my scrapbooking. Recounting stories and places where I have been is encompassed within my scrapbooking. I am currently living in a city for the longest I have ever been in one place as an Adult or child for that matter. Home is important and creating roots for my children has been something that is very important to me.

I honestly could talk about this for a long time and bore you with my stories, insights, memories, and move experiences. I have been fortunate to have lived during Vietnam and attend my first day of school in Okinawa, Japan during the change of the YEN. I have also personally seen and touched the Wall of Berlin that seperated the East and West city of Berlin, Germany before it actually came down. Military Life is all I ever knew.

So, now you know. My obsession before scrapping was seeking out relationships/friends that helped mold me the way that I am today. I have found about 14 people from my years as an Army Brat and still continue this search to find my very best friend, Karen Duffy. I have only come across people that remember her or her brother.

I just wanted you to know that this incredible film is worth viewing and absorbing. I am proud to say that I had a small part of sharing my story and if you are still reading this long post and are interested in viewing the trailer and the website of this documentary that has recieved multiple awards then please do so ---> Brats: Our Journey Home.

I am now proud to say that I am a mother of a military man and I sit in the early mornings while gathering my thoughts and my (TAWG) Time Alone With God and am thankful that I experienced more than the "average" American child growing up in the late 1960's and 1970's when politics and pride were openly discussed in our home. So, when my son calls me or writes me of his experiences it always brings a flood of memories to heart and I once again, "remember." Then reality sets in and I realize that the Cycle/Circle still continues and the Military Life is still in evolution and forges on.
Family is important. Roots are what they are...."roots." Just sometimes for us Military Families- our roots are those little fibers that can reach miles and while they are not really strong roots they are centered for one purpose. Freedom. Military Families have a special bond that allows us to come together if even for a brief moment in our lives. But the one constant bond we all share is the love for our country and being proud to be an American.

Please take the time to view the website http://www.bratsourjourneyhome.com/ and you will learn about a "sub-culture" that the average American is just now learning about and becoming aware.
Okinawa, Japan...1971

If you are still reading....support the film
click on link below
We WANT a Military Brats Show and the Brats Film on Oprah!

1 comment:

laurel said...

Wow! Brianna is the spitting image of you. It is more obvious with this picture. I bet it was very different growing up as a military brat.